What SUB is all about
SUB is geared for professional development of each member and the general enhancement of students' lives at MSOE. Each side of our five-sided logo represents one aspect of our organization: leadership, teamwork, communication, social skills and programming. We will also look to improve on campus life through entertaining and educational programming on campus.
Meetings are Wednesdays @7pm, in CC-361
(Student Org. Conference Room behind the Bookstore)
and are open to Everyone!
Our current Executive Board:
- Tyler Loehrl - President
- Kashmira Engineer - Vice-President
- Phoebe Skowronski - Secretary
- Emily Dvorsky - Treasurer
- Mark Brouch - Publicity Director
- Marissa Parent - Campus Representative
- Nicholas Seidler - Advisor
Revised: 03 January 2012
We, the Student Union Board of the Milwaukee School of Engineering, in order to provide for the social growth of the students, do hereby resolve:
To improve the social atmosphere of the MSOE campus;
To promote intercollegiate communication and understanding;
To encourage cooperation among students;
To proved activities that stimulate the social, cultural, educational, and physical welfare of students;
To preserve the interest and integrity of the Student Union Board of the Milwaukee School of Engineering and do henceforth ordain this Constitution of the Student Union Board of the Milwaukee School of Engineering.
Name & Mission
Section I: Name
The name of this organization shall be the Student Union Board of the Milwaukee School of Engineering, hereafter referred to as SUB.
Section II: Mission
The mission for our organization is geared for professional development of each member and the general enhancement of students’ lives at the Milwaukee School of Engineering. Each side of our five-sided logo represents one aspect of our organization. Members will learn leadership, teamwork, communication, social skills, and programming. We will also look to improve campus life through entertaining and educational programming on campus.
Section I: Membership Qualifications
To become a member of SUB, one must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA and be in good standing with the Milwaukee School of Engineering. Consistent with all applicable federal and state laws and MSOE policies, this organization and its subordinate bodies and officers shall not discriminate for or against anyone on the basis of race, gender, religion, culture, or sexual orientation. In order to be a member, one must be involved with organizational programming events (working or coordinating)
Officer, Member, and Advisor Responsibilities
Section I: Officer Positions & Responsibilities
- Preside over weekly SUB meetings and Executive Board meetings
- Create any committees and oversee the appointment to these committees
- Be an officio of all committees within the organization
- Remain in regular contact with the SUB Advisor
- Oversee all organizational business and paperwork required for the organization
- Preside over SUB meetings when the President is unable to attend
- Prepare and distribute weekly meeting agendas
- Oversee the assessment and upkeep of the SUB office
- Record minutes at SUB meetings and distribute to the SUB email list
- Oversee the SUB email list
- Oversee the SUB member contact information list
- Oversee SUB member attendance records for meetings and events
- Notify members via email list of any issue requiring a vote prior to the meeting when the voting shall occur
- Develop and organize a publicity plan for every SUB event
- Oversee the completion of each publicity plan
- Oversee the distribution of SUB publicity emails to the Events email list
- Maintain an archive for all publicity created for SUB
- Oversee the upkeep of the SUB webpage
- Inform SUB members of campus activities at weekly meetings
- Act as a liaison between SUB and SGA and give SUB members an update of SGA proceedings
- Oversee SUB participation at campus open houses and other member recruitment events (President Picnic, Campus and Community Fair, etc.)
- Develop and promote communication with other MSOE organizations
- Maintain a record of the SUB funds and expenditures
- Formulate the annual SUB budget
- Oversee any voting required for SUB expenditures
- Be prepared to give funds/expenditures updates at weekly meetings
- Maintain a connection between SUB and the Student Life office and support SUB with event planning and organization
- Inform Treasurer on the status of SUB funds and expenditures
- Encouraged to attend all SUB meetings and Executive Board meetings
- Encouraged to attend SUB events and may be required to act as a supervisor
- Responsible to read weekly minutes, and stay informed on organizational issues
- Must be involved with organizational programming events (working or coordinating)
Section II: Election of Officers
Elections are held according to the following criteria:
Officers will be elected in the following order:
In order to vote in elections, one must be a member of SUB
A nominated individual may accept or deny any nomination up until the time to vote for that position.
Each member may hold only one position, however, members may run for more than one position.
A member not nominated for an officer position will conduct the election.
Elections will be conducted by secret ballot.
Absentee ballots will be available at the discretion of the Advisor
Any other issue/decision will be at the discretion of the Advisor and the current Executive Board
Elections will be held during the winter quarter of each school year. A timeline of the election process is as follows:
o 5th Week – Announcement that nominations for all officer positions will be accepted up to the time of voting, to be decided on during 6th week.
o 6th Week – Additional nominations will be accepted. A majority vote will determine if the actual election will be held during the 8th or 9th week.
o 7th Week – Additional nominations will be accepted.
o 8th Week – Additional nominations will be accepted. Elections may be held depending on the 6th week vote.
o 9th Week – Additional nominations will be accepted. Elections will be held if they have not already.
o New officers will take office during the first week of the Spring Quarter.
Meetings & Official Business
Section I: Frequency & Location
SUB meetings will be conducted once a week during the first ten weeks of each quarter. Meetings will be held on the Milwaukee School of Engineering campus or another location determined by agreement of the active members.
Section II: Procedure
The President or another member of the executive board will direct SUB meetings. SUB meetings will be conducted with an open floor format allowing all members to voice his or her opinion.
Section III: Official Business
Any official business, mainly issues regarding SUB funds, will be voted on after all questions regarding the issue have been discussed. A majority vote by the SUB members present at any regular meeting is required to approve the issue. Issues that require a vote shall be announced via the SUB email list prior to the meeting when the voting shall occur.
Section IV: SUB Funds
Any deviation from the approved SUB budget lines, during the course of the year, must be voted on and approved by a majority of members present at any regular meeting. Spending of funds listed as Membership/Organization Cash Funds must be approved by the SUB executive board. The spending of these funds shall be discussed at the next SUB meeting.
Section V: Membership Awards & Benefits
Any periodic SUB member awards (ex. Member of the Month) and other member benefits (ex. Member Dinners) are at the discretion of the SUB executive board. The SUB executive board is responsible for organizing and/or distributing the awards and/or benefits. Suggestions or nominations for member awards or benefits will be accepted at any time.
Section I: Constitution Amendments
Any SUB member may submit an amendment(s). The SUB constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members present at a regular meeting or at a special meeting called for that purpose. A notice (via the SUB email list) and a copy of any proposed amendment shall be distributed to all members at least two meetings prior to the meeting at which the amendment is to be considered. The members shall be notified of the adopted constitutional amendments via the SUB email list. The adopted constitution shall also be posted on the SUB webpage.